Modern Star Quilt - Design Session #5
This traditional block is turned into a fun modern quilt with the asymmetrical placing of the star blocks and modern fabrics. This presents a great opportunity to work with several different design options.
Design Session #5 - Cathy's Star Quilt
- Observation: Elements of the pattern/breaking down the design
- Star blocks - 5 - brings the opportunity to alternate two designs and achieve a balanced look
- Railfence background. The sets are not the same and are random, so this would lend itself well to a more randomized design.
- Scrappy - opportunity for secondary designs but probably not ghost shapes of the star blocks
- 2 borders - one skinny and one large. Large has crosshatching in print
- Design options
- Common background - all over design, or treat each piece individually
- Spikes - double echo, circles that only appear in the spikes, or add extra spikes in the corners
- Center square - filler, dot to dot
- Railfence background
- Stepping stones (zig zagging)
- Vertical stripes
- Fill in same motif on each rectangle of that color (yellow, grays, whites)
- Follow the cross hatching print, fill in every other
- Create triangles and fill with the design used in the rail fence
Would you like to get notified of other fun blog posts, new pattern releases, and exclusive coupons/discounts once a month? Sign up to the newsletter! You will also get the Marion quilt pattern for free! Click here!